blt by Max Halley
Featuring Walkers MAX Salt & Malt Vinegar Flavour Crisps
Oh the BLT, I’ve got something a little cheeky planned for this, and I’m rather pleased with myself.
The trick here is to fry the bacon slowly, increasing the heat over 10 minutes so that the bacon is brownedbut not crispy, and all the fat has rendered out of it and is left in the pan. Surprise! You’ll need it for bready bacon soldiers, the not-so-secret ingredient that takes this BLT straight into the Sandwich Hall of Fame.
Requires Cooking: Yes
Vegetarian Option: No
- 1 mini Ciabatta (those little ones they sell loose in the supermarket)
- 1 big, fat, ripe as heck, deep red tomato, core removed, thinly sliced, laid out on a plate and sprinkled with salt, pepper and a touch of sugar
- 1 thick slice of iceberg lettuce cut from the whole lettuce like you’d cut a loaf of bread and trimmed to be the same size as your bread/sandwich
- 4 slices of good-quality smoked streaky bacon
- 1 slice of Mother’s Pride type bread, crusts removed
- 2 heaped tablespoons mayo
- ½ ball mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Some vinaigrette (either from a bottle, or 2 parts olive oil, whisked up with 1 part lemon juice, salt and pepper)
- Crushed Walkers MAX Salt & Malt Vinegar Flavour crisps
- 1 Fry the bacon until golden but not crispy, remove from the pan.
- 2 Put your crustless slice of bread in the pan and fry it in the bacon juices until golden and delicious on both sides.
- 3 Cut the fried bread into ‘soldiers’ and set aside.
- 4 Cut the ciabatta in half lengthways and mayo the top and bottom generously.
- 5 Put the hot bacon on the bottom messily not in neat little rows and lay the mozzarella over it.
- 6 Tomato slices on top of the cheese, fried bacon bread soldiers on top of that, all down the length of the sandwich, then plonk the lettuce on top of everything.
- 7 Give the vinaigrette another little whisk and tip it over the lettuce.
- 8 Sprinkle the crushed Walkers MAX Salt & Malt Vinegar Flavour crisps all over the top half.
- 9 Put the lid on, cut the thing in half, pass a bit to whoever’s with you, enjoy yourself!