Tortilla The Hun
Featuring Walkers MAX Fiery Peri-Peri Flavour Crisps
How do you like your eggs in the morning? Whisked up and mixed with crisps and layered on a saucy, garlicky, oniony baguette OBVIOUSLY! Washed down with a coffee, this is the ultimate holiday breakfast sandwich.
Be smart and cook the onion the day before (you deserve a little lie-in). I also recommend making the garlic mayo in advance so that the garlic gets more pronounced.
Requires Cooking: Yes
Vegetarian Option: Yes
- 3 eggs whisked in a bowl
- 1 onion, cooked as per the instructions below
- 1 tablespoon garlic mayo (finely grate ½ clove garlic into 1 tbsp mayo and stir)
- 1 mini baguette
- Salt and pepper
- A sploosh of olive oil
- Hot sauce of your choice
- A small, ideally non-stick frying pan, that can go in the oven
- A packet of Walkers MAX Fiery Peri-Peri Flavour Crisps
- 1 First cook the onion. Skin it and slice it as thin as you can. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat, stirring regularly, until caramelised, golden and soft. This will take at least 10 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- 3 Heat some olive oil in your small frying pan on medium heat.
- 4 Whisk the cooled onions into the eggs. Add the crisps and whisk some more. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5 Your pan should be nice and hot now, but not mad hot. If your pan is not non-stick, carefully (and without burning yourself of course), take two squares of kitchen roll, fold them up and use them to spread the hot oil around the pan so that every spot is oiled.
- 6 Tip the egg and onion mix into the pan and gently shake it about. Once the edges have cooked by a centimetre towards the centre, put the pan in the oven.
- 7 Once the top feels firm when poked with a finger, the tortilla is cooked through. If we weren’t making a breakfast sandwich, we would cook it less, so the centre remains runny, but that would be a bit messy in this context.
- 8 Turn your tortilla out on to a plate and get ready to sandwich.
- 9 Slather the inside of your baguette with the garlic mayo and lay in a few nice thick slices of the tortilla. Hot sauce away if you so desire.
- 10 Close the lid, cut it in half and remember to have a salad for lunch.