A Reuben (Of Sorts) by Max Halley
Featuring Walkers Worcester Sauce Flavour French Fries Crisps
Whether you’re on a jolly in New York or hiding from the rain in a caravan in Skegness, there’s always time for a A Reuben sandwich (Of Sorts). There is a good reason why the Reuben has become one of the world’s great lunches and SURELY this is one of the greatest ever uses of crisps in a sandwich!?
Luckily for us enthusiasts, most of the supermarkets now sell packs of sliced pastrami or salt beef, making this a more achievable lunch at home than it might once have been.
Requires Cooking: Yes
Vegetarian Option: No
- 4 slices pastrami (or salt beef)
- 2 heaped tablespoons sauerkraut, in a sieve to dry out a bit
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite mustard (I like the Americantype)
- 1 slice of good melting cheese (emmenthal or something like that)
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- A few shakes Tabasco
- Crushed Walkers Worcester Sauce Flavour French Fries Crisps
- 2 slices rye bread (if available) or seeded loaf
- 1 Toast both slices of the bread in your toaster and allow them to cool.
- 2 Pop the grill on.
- 3 Mix the ketchup and mayo together, shake in some Tabasco and spread on both pieces of bread.
- 4 Layer the bottom slice with the meat and sauerkraut, mustard accordingly and pop the slice of cheese on top of that.
- 5 Put that half under the gril until the cheese has completely melted.
- 6 Using a spatula, put the hot half on a chopping board and scatter the crushed Walkers Worcester Sauce Flavour French Fries Crisps all over the top half.
- 7 Lid on, bit of a squish and thank your lucky stars you decided to have this Reuben sandwich for lunch.